Lovely War by Julie Berry

 Contemporary romance, historical fiction - Ages 12 to older

Lovely War - By Julie Berry (hardcover) : Target

“Hazel, a classical pianist from London. James, a British would-be architect turned soldier. Aubrey, a Harlem-born ragtime genius in the US Army. And Colette, a Belgian orphan with a gorgeous voice and a devastating past.” 

Their stories are told by Aphrodite, who must twist their fate or face the judgment of Mount Olympus and the Gods. 


Oh my lord, this book was pretty much the description of perfection, I almost can't put into words how much I enjoyed this book. *Chiefs kiss.* Lovely War by Julie Berry was one of the most stunning and timeless bestsellers I have ever read! Not to mention the magical sheen and Greek mythology added so much more interest and value to the storyline. I love that this story was written mainly from the perspective of Aphrodite, because as the Goddess of love, passion, and beauty, she truly captured the tension and rawness of love between both couples, and that made my heart smile. Not to mention I was always on the edge of my seat when Aphrodite would use her powers and make one of the characters just turn their head enough so that they could face the eyes of their future lover. I honestly believe this book was one of the most beautifully and elegantly written stories I have read!


I think that there are many themes and ideas you can take from this book, but there is one message that I feel makes up for breaking my heart after reading this book, and that is, love trumps all. It seems cheesy but after reading about these four characters' stories and what they went through- including war, they still found each other after hell, and they stayed through it all. I really wish I knew what it was like to be in love or to be loved like the way Hazel loved James, Aubrey loved Colette, and especially the way Aphrodite loved Hephaestus. But I am only going into high school with little life adventures, so I kinda have to wait, though in the meantime I will most definitely be reading more Julie Berry!


I would definitely recommend this book to lovers of Greek mythology, World War I and II, and also just lovers of old love stories in Europe. I know that after reading this book I will be keeping it close to my heart. Everyone should go read it right now!


A happy ending:

“Hephaestus stands and extends a hand. She takes it and pulls herself up to her feet. 

Now? Hephaestus wonders. Is now the time? He’s waited for this moment, far too long.

Aphrodite helps him out. It’s what she does best, what she's famous for. 

Kisses by the billions happen every day, even in a lonely world like ours.

But this is a kiss for the ages.”


Popular posts from this blog

Long Live The Pumpkin Queen by Shea Ernshaw

Happy Place by Emily Henry

The Book Talk's Take on Booktok