Aristotle and Dante Dive into the Waters of the World by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

 Aristotle and Dante Dive into the Waters of the World 

by Benjamin Alire Sáenz   

Amazon.com: Aristotle and Dante Dive into the Waters of the World:  9781534496194: Sáenz, Benjamin Alire: Books

Contemporary fiction, YA   


“We are all cartographers-all of us. We all want to write our names on the map of the world.” 


I can say with one hundred percent certainty that this book held the most emotion I have ever read in my life. Benjamin expertly knows how to deliver a timeless, full of life, and humorously blunt story about highschool, love, and life. After reading the first book, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, I was deeply in love with the writing. So when I finally found this book at my school, and it being the only copy, I grabbed it and checked it out. Also I need to take a minute to acknowledge my librarians because they are so sweet and welcoming. When I went to check out this book, they got so excited because they loved the first book and told me to report back to them how it was! Anyways back to talking about this masterpiece of a 516 page sequel. 


This story was spaced perfectly, and I loved the short chapters because every single one felt like it was felt with a little separate storyline. Also to mention, the topics of violence, love, and many titles included under those categories like AIDS and murder were described with such purpose that I felt like I knew a little bit more about life after reading this book. The friendships and how strong they can become also became very apparent throughout this story when Susie and Gina and Cassandra all reunited after the loss of Cassandra’s brother. And despite the happy sides of this story there was lots of death and questioning around Ari’s small universe. Starting with the death of Ari’s Dad. This moment was heart wrenching when Jamie (Ari’s Dad) came into the kitchen after running and Ari ran to him as he collapsed. Even as the reader I felt the loss of that handsome and loving character during the aftermath of the story. 


After all that happened towards the end of this book, Dante and Ari get into a fight and Dante decides to take up the school offer and go to Paris. “He turned around and looked in my direction–but he couldn’t look at me. He just looked down at the ground. And then he looked up at me. Those familiar tears were flowing down his face. The tears fell like the rains that fell on the desert sands in a storm. He slowly turned around and walked away.” Oh my god this quote broke me when Dante walked away. In all honesty, I thought the story was going to end there, but thank the lord that Ari came to his senses and realized that Dante wasn't just some boy in his life. They were fated. So in the end Ari got on a plane to Paris and together they wrote their names on the map of the city of love.  


I still can't get over how touching this book was! I recommend this book to anyone who reads the first book and wants to read Dante and Ari’s story, or to YA LGBTQ+ lovers! Hasta pronto mis amigos y yo no tengo escuela hoy! Stay safe and stay warm in this crazy New England snow flurry. 


Popular posts from this blog

Long Live The Pumpkin Queen by Shea Ernshaw

Happy Place by Emily Henry

The Book Talk's Take on Booktok