Happy Place by Emily Henry

 Happy Place by Emily Henry

Happy Place 

Romance

I may have only read seven books this year so far, but I can confidently say that I am glad that Happy Place was one of those seven. Not only was this one of my favorite books I have read in a while, but it was also the most perfect refreshing book of the summer. 


Emily Henry uses a common thread throughout her stories. Those threads are connected by time, time jumps, memories, etc. This story takes place between the now and the past of the protagonist, Harriet’s, summers in Knott’s Harbor, Maine. She and her five other friends travel back to Maine for a long-awaited reunion, but not all is right. Harriet, aka Harry, has recently split up with her ex-fiance, Wynn, and they haven’t told their friends yet. This story is heart-wrenching and heartwarming as it navigates the truth about change through growth, and how some secrets are better left unsaid. And the summer vibes are all there. From those sea breeze winds to small-town shopping routes, this book is like a breath of fresh air! 


Not only did I love this story, but I really felt like I could connect with Harriet throughout the story more so than some other recent characters I have read about. For one, Harry travels around; from San Francisco to Vermont, she is always in motion. I am a New England girly, and while also being a San Fran-born, from the start I sort of liked the way Harry rolled. On a deeper level, Harry doesn’t feel like she is worth loving. She doubts herself and hides away inside herself when she messes up. Although I have not been married, had a significant other, or anything else along those lines, I feel like Harry would be the embodiment of me; hardworking, constantly trying to prove herself to her family, and obviously sarcastically funny. 


Harry’s two best friends, Cleo and Sabrina have been three peas in a pod since college, but life carries on and change happens all the time. I think I really related to this story because of their friendship. I am part of a three-person friend group, and recently I have felt like I am drifting away from one of them, mainly because I let what she does bother me in a bad way, even though she is so sweet. She reminded me of Sabrina, and how Harry and her fight throughout the story. At the end of this book, they came back together again, but it isn't the same, and it made me realize that it’s ok to change. My friends and I will be going to college soon and even though that scares me, I’m going to be fine. I’m going to make new friends and live life how I want, but they’ll always be there. They made me who I am today and I will always be grateful.


If you like other books by Emily Henry, Taylor Jenkins Reid, or just romance in general, then you should enjoy this book! Hopefully, I can read more this summer, but with all of the life coming my way that might not be that easy. Anyway, have a great summer.


Popular posts from this blog

Long Live The Pumpkin Queen by Shea Ernshaw

The Book Talk's Take on Booktok