These Violent Delights Duology by Chloe Gong

 These Violent Delights Duology by Chloe Gong

These Violent Delights (2 book series) Kindle Edition

Fantasy, YA fiction  


Whewwww it has been a minute since I said hello on here! How have y’all been? Anyways over here in my world I just finished my 50th book this year, I’m trying to make it to 100 even though I am a month late… I’ve also been super busy reading so I didn’t have time to update my blog for a couple of months, my bad! Anyways, that 50th book just happened to be the second book and one of my new favorite duologies. Our violent ends by Chloe Gong! 


I have to say this book I was sort of hesitant to read at first. I wasn’t in the mood to read another fantasy that was probably going to end up being too confusing, but the second I opened it I realized it was a parody of Romeo and Juliet set to Shanghai in the 1920s. Not only did I read Shakespeare’s work of Romeo and Juliet this year in school, I also learned about that section of world history in my history class as well, so I was enthralled that I knew what was happening lol. After I sped through the first book I instantly gave it five stars, I devoured the second book and even less time and gave it a five stars as well. After reading Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet it was awesome to match the characters to each other and both works of literature. I love seeing the similarities and differences amongst the original characters and the spin on the new type of characters that Chloe created. Not to mention to the boys in my grade that didn’t get the fact that Mercutio was gay, read this book BECAUSE YOU WERE WRONG. 


I also loved how the book was set after the events of what the original Romeo and Juliet would’ve taken place in. Chloe's characters were so intricate and beautifully crafted, I honestly loved every aspect of this duo and I can’t wait to read her third book coming out soon! When it came to Roma and Juliette, I freakin loved them! Detention and background history between them was perfect, and I loved the inner thoughts between the two of their POVs because I got to see that each of them deeply loved the other- they just didn’t show it till later. Thank God though that it all worked out in the end and they both put aside the blood feud and realize that they were meant to be together from the start. That also leads into the very abrupt ending of this book. Like why would you do that to me Chloe?! I honestly don’t wanna believe that the ending was true because to Alisa’s point the bodies were found so I still feel like they could’ve tricked everyone or truly died together from love… Anyways I still can’t get over this book. :)


As I said before, I absolutely love this book, and I recommend it to lovers of YA fantasy! It is fast paced and holds many aspects like romance, action filled fighting, and dun dun dunnnn, betrayal. Thanks for reading till the end of this blog and I can’t wait to keep writing in the next! 


PS: I might end up being even slower when posting reviews this summer, because I’m doing theater camp which means lots of hours of acting and not that many hours reading. But in the meantime I’ll be reading as much as I can and as eccentrically as I can as I am also going to Europe! Ahh Ik crazy lol. 


Adios por ahora!


Popular posts from this blog

Long Live The Pumpkin Queen by Shea Ernshaw

Happy Place by Emily Henry

The Book Talk's Take on Booktok